Monday, July 14, 2014

Expect the Worst; Dream for the Best

It's race week! To get things started on a delicious note, I indulged in an ice cream sandwich for breakfast. 

Chocolate chip ice cream sandwich from Purple Door - Nom nom!

I know, I know - ice cream sandwiched between two cookies is definitely not part of a racing diet, but having that small treat made for a pretty great start to the week. And feeling happy and positive can only help me race faster, right? ;)

It's been about a month and a half since my last race and I'm so ready to go. I recently read an article about how your mindset can affect your race. Basically, it recommends runners brace themselves for the worst - pain, feeling bad, etc. - so when actually racing, the effort feels better than expected. So that's what I'm doing this week. Imagining how terrible the race is going to feel. All while dreaming of a PR time!

As for the actual work before the race, here's this week's plan:

Monday: 5 mile run + Strides; Strength Training
Tuesday: 7 mile workout, inc. race pace intervals
Wednesday: 6 mile run + Absolution
Thursday: 6 mile run + Y Kettle Bell
Friday: Rest Day
Saturday: 3 mile run + Strides
Sunday: Chicago Rock n Roll Half Marathon + 5 mile cooldown

Total: 45 miles

My questions for you:
  • How closely do you watch your diet the week of a race? 
  • What is your favorite weather for racing?
  • Any workouts this week that you can't wait to tackle?

After a tasty treat to start the week, it's time to buckle down and get serious!

- ST

12 comments:

  1. Race week is fun! I hope you have a great race, too. I love slightly chilly and overcast on race day. I may shiver at the start but when I get into my groove, I run so great in cold weather. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, slightly chilly is best. Much better than sweating even before the start of the race!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh that ice cream sandwich is going to make me drool all over my desk. YUM. I do usually watch what I eat somewhat, but I'm not too crazy about it. :)

    Hooray for race week! It looks like you have a great plan in place. Not long now!

    My fave race weather? Overcast (with a drizzle even), 60 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love overcast with a bit of rain, too! It feels refreshing, especially midrace when the going gets tough :)

      Delete
  3. my stomach hates me so i try to be careful the few days before a race... good luck this week! can't wait to read your race report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki! I will probably start being strict around Wednesday since it's a Sunday race!

      Delete
  4. That ice cream sandwich looks heavenly! Yum. I try to watch what I eat the week of the race, but more so two days before, and the day before, so I would be alllll over that ice cream sandwich to start off my week! My ideal forecast is probably in the high 60s to 70s...such an Arizonan ;). I love that point about expecting the worst while keeping a PR in mind, that makes a lot of sense, but I never thought about it like that. I need to get better at mental training like that. I hope you have a wonderful week leading up to RACE DAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hailey! I think I'm the same - I try to be good most of the week but get strict a few days before. And then indulge after the race! ;)

      Delete
  5. That was an interesting article, but I do have to say that I agree! My fastest 5k was in Rehoboth Beach, DE and I lived in Philly so it took about 2 hours to get there. I spent those two hours worrying and was even in tears at one point. It led to a really serious conversation with my husband about what I was worried about and why I was scared. Once I admitted that I knew it was going to hurt (running fast is always hard for me) I was able to get over my fear. Yes, the race did hurt but I felt so good crossing with a PR! I may need to use this strategy this weekend - I'm running a half marathon and I feel underprepared so I need to prepare for how it's really going to feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck at your half this weekend!

      Delete
  6. Good luck this weekend! I try and watch what I eat starting about midway through the week. My biggest thing is making sure I hydrate. I love to race in 40 degree weather, although it doesn't happen that much! My 5k yesterday at 7 am was already in the 80's with 90% humidity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 40 degree weather, too! Well, maybe more like upper 40s, but I think that is the perfect racing weather. Your 5k sounds brutal - 90 percent humidity?? Yikes!

      Delete