Monday, June 23, 2014

Highlights + This Week's Training Schedule

In Wisconsin, we look forward to summer all year. Now that it's here - this is a bit debatable given the recent chilly temps and lack of sunny days - it's going by so fast! Just like that, June is practically done. 

Anyhow, one of my favorite things about summer are the longer days. Just a few extra hours of daylight make it that much easier to fit in more training and more fun. Last week's highlights:

A track workout. This was my first time running at Shorewood High School and it's pretty nice! I met up with the Milwaukee Running Group and ran my warmup, a few repeats and a cooldown with them. I had to do most of my workout on my own (more repeats, shorter rest) but it was nice to see friendly faces every time I circled the track.

Y-Blitz. For a long time I was a bit intimidated by this class and worried it would mess with my running. Not so much anymore. I love that I have to struggle through it because the harder I work, the stronger I'll get. 

The weekend long run. This may have been my best long run yet this year. Usually it takes me 3-4 miles to start feeling good on a long run, but on Saturday, I ran 8:40ish from the start and it felt great. As directed by Coach Matt, I picked up the pace throughout and surprised myself by averaging goal marathon pace during the last five miles!


This week's training is somewhat similar to last week's except more miles! Here's the plan:

Monday: 6 mile run + Strides; Y-Kettle Bell Intervals; Strength Training
Tuesday: 10 mile workout
Wednesday: 7 mile runch; Y-Fuse; Absolution
Thursday: 9 mile run; Y-Blitz; Y-Kettle Bell Basics
Friday: Rest Day
Saturday: 17 mile run
Sunday: 7 mile run

Total: 56 miles

My questions for you:
  • What run/workout are you most looking forward to this week?
  • What are your favorite moments from last week/weekend?
  • What do you love most about summer?

Hope you all have a great start to the week :)

- ST

8 comments:

  1. Nice training, Sun!
    This week, I am most looking forward to my Saturday long run out on the trails. Afterward, we will have a family picnic at a nearby state park - which will include my niece and nephew from out of town! Not to mention the great recovery foods, and swimming in the cool lake - all great post-run activities :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the perfect post-run recovery :) And don't forget about our Outkast outing on Sunday!

      Delete
  2. Great training week! :)
    I'm most looking forward to the run that doesn't hurt haha. I'm taking this week probably entirely off from running to give my knee a break. I miss long runs so much and yours sounded wonderful! Happy Monday, lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your break from running fixes your knee right up! Congrats again on your incredible race over the weekend. You've earned a few days off :)

      Delete
  3. Great training week Sun! I wish we could run together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay! Will you be at Bird Camp? Would love to run together there :)

      Delete
  4. Great 15-miler! Hitting goal marathon pace for the last third of your run is amazing this early into your training. I sense even more great things ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hailey! It was just one of those runs when everything felt great! Hopefully the same will be true on race day :)

      Delete