Friday, August 31, 2012

Try It: The Foodie Penpals Program

Good morning and happy Friday! I'm so ready for this week to be over and for the long weekend to begin. First up on Saturday - the Lake Country Half Marathon. Eek. It's going to be an early morning - 3:30am wake up call! - but I'm excited to race. 

Anyhow, this post is NOT about running. Shocking, I know :) Instead, I'm going to tell you about my first experience with the Foodie Penpals program! 


The program was started in 2011 by Lindsay from The Lean Green Bean. Every month, bloggers/blog readers/foodies/etc are matched up via email. Participants then send their penpal a box of fun foodie treats, including favorite foods, local goods and even homemade items. Boxes also need to include something written, such as a note explaining the items in the box or a recipe. I should also note that the person sending you a box, is not the same person you send a box to. 

This month, I received a wonderful, thoughtful box from Janna at Try It You Might Like It

I had help opening the box



Janna explained that she buys local whenever possible and all the items she included are things she's tried and loves. Here's what was in the box:

  • Marshmallow Fluff - Made in Lynn, MA
  • Equal Exchange Baking Cocoa - Made in W. Bridgewater, MA
  • Ocean Spray Craisins 
  • Laurel Hill Multigrain Tortilla Chips - Made in Mansfield, MA
  • Woodstock Organic Turbinado Sugar 
  • Lambs & Thyme Popping Cob - From Northfield, MA
  • Ginger Powder - From Atlantic Spice Company in Cape Cod
  • Wilton Baking Cups
  • Tiny Soccer Balls - For Eddie!

She also included two recipes that use some of the box items - one for whoopie pies and another for molasses-rye snaps. 


I love every item that was in the box and can't wait to try both of the recipes. As you can tell from the pic above, Eddie also had a fun time with the Foodie Penpals program this month. I think the soccer balls are his new favorite toys and he's been chasing them around my apartment ever since!

Ready to pounce!

Getting a fun package in the mail made it seem like Christmas in August, and I highly recommend giving the program a try! If you want to participate in this next month's program, don't delay - sign up here today.

Have you ever participated in the Foodie Penpals program? If so, what did you think? Or, did you have a penpal growing up? I had one in England but sadly we lost touch during our teen years. 

Enjoy the long weekend!

- ST

7 comments:

  1. I love how she included toys of Eddie! How sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really sweet - and he was beyond excited when I opened the box and the toys were right on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so adorable! It shows that she really took care to tailor your box for you :)

      Delete
  3. Yay!! This was so much fun! I'm glad that you liked everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much again for all the lovely items. I will write after trying the recipes - I think I'm going to try making the Molasses Rye Crisps for my dad's birthday!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Eddie is definitely hoping I participate in the program again :)

      Delete