Monday, February 13, 2012

Training Schedule 2/13 - 2/19

By now, you're probably well aware that I like planning things in life, usually well in advance and down to the details. That carries over to my training and racing.

For months now, the Lake Geneva Half Marathon has been on my list. But recent slightly-less-than-favorable reviews of the race led me to check out other spring half marathon options in the area.

Enter the Rockford Half Marathon. After spending some time on the race website, it looks like a great option so I'm seriously considering doing it instead. The only downside is the course looks to be mostly along residential streets and roads, so it's significantly less scenic than Lake Geneva. However, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of scenery for a better organized event. I have a goal time in mind and I want to do the race that gives me the best opportunity to meet it.

I wish I could run sub-7 minute miles throughout my next half marathon!

Both races are mid-May, so no matter which I end up doing, I need to stick with my training plan. Here's this week's schedule:

Monday
Afternoon: 6 mile easy run; 30 minutes strength training

Tuesday

Afternoon:
8 mile speed workout (One mile warm up, four tempo miles @half marathon goal race pace, 4x400m, one-two cool down miles)

Wednesday
Afternoon: 6 mile easy run, including strides

Thursday

Afternoon: Boot Camp Class; 2 mile easy run

Friday
Rest Day

Saturday
The Big Chill 5k Race

Sunday
Rest Day


I need feedback! Has anyone run either the Lake Geneva or Rockford Half Marathons? If so, what are your thoughts? What did you think of the organization and courses?

- ST

No comments:

Post a Comment