Friday, February 17, 2012

Ode to the Sweet Potato

After a hard workout, I rarely - okay, never - feel like preparing an elaborate meal. Mixing, stirring, baking, etc. are the last things I want to do. I want to eat, and I want the food ready fast. But I also don't want to resort to convenience foods that are filled with salt, fat and who knows what else.

That's why I love sweet potatoes.

So healthy. So delicious.

I've eaten one of these pretty much every night this week and I'm still not tired of them. Sweet potatoes provide many health benefits and there are so many ways you can prepare them.

Because I'm usually too impatient to wait for potatoes to bake in the oven, I usually "bake" them in the microwave. After baking, here are my favorite toppings:

The Basic Maple
1 tsp pure maple syrup
Sprinkle of cinnamon

The Southwest Potato
Black beans, drained and rinsed
Corn
1/4 avocado, chopped
Salsa
Sprinkle of low-fat pepper jack cheese

The Cajun Style Potato
3/4 - 1 cup jambalaya

Note: Try this recipe and sub in brown rice and lean turkey sausage to up the nutrition.

I want to know: What's your go-to dinner when you want something easy and fast? Also, anyone have any sweet potato recipes to share?

- ST

No comments:

Post a Comment