Monday, February 20, 2012

The Big Chill 5k Race Recap

Here's a tip: Participating in a winter running series will make the season fly by and also give you extra motivation to keep training, even during the coldest months of the year.

The RACC Great Lakes Running Series Race #4, The Big Chill (I've affectionately renamed it The Big Hill), was Saturday morning. For mid-February, the weather was terrific - around 30 degrees, sunny and not very windy. I had really good feelings going into the race and felt prepared to run fast, maybe even a new PR for the 5k distance.

I'm the one in the pink jacket, trying to get past as many people as possible near the start.

Here are my race stats:

Time: 22:32
Average Mile Time: 7:16
Division Place: 2/51

Overall: 97/546

Upon seeing the results, I was pretty excited. While I was happy with how I raced, I didn't think I ran fast enough a new PR. There were points during the race when I didn't push quite as hard as I could have and a steep hill to the finish line definitely added a bit to my time.

I'm pretty sure I was overheating at this point in the race.
Note to self: Leave the jacket at home.

Now, only one race remains in the RACC series and I need to run it fast to finish in the top three in my age group for the series. Right now, I'm in first, but will probably drop a spot after this last race.

So that brings me back to the beginning of this post. Winter is going by fast. It's nearly March, which means it's nearly spring. And more than ever, I'm motivated to train hard to get what I want.

- ST

No comments:

Post a Comment