Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Setting Goals for 2012

The New Year is here and I'm a tad late posting my 2012 running goals. But better late than never, right?

When deciding on goals, I wanted to choose things that are measurable. For example, running a distance within a certain time, not just running faster. This way, I'll know for sure if I've achieved the goal or not at the end of the year.

Here's what I plan to accomplish in 2012:
  • Run a sub-22 minute 5k race
  • Run a sub-1:43 half marathon race
  • Complete a marathon race
  • Race a new shorter distance (ex. mile, 4 mile, 8k or 10k)
  • Increase weekly mileage to 50-60 miles

It's a short list - only five goals - but I think meeting each one will be a challenge. The easiest on the list is racing a new shorter distance. I have no doubts I can run a mile, four miles, 8k or 10k but the trick will be pacing myself appropriately for the distance during a race.

As for the other goals, the key to accomplishing them will be increasing my weekly mileage. This will allow me to run longer so I can (fingers crossed) complete the marathon as well as run faster in shorter distance races.

So here's to 2012 and making it the best running year yet!

Tell me: What are your running goals this year and how do you plan to accomplish them?

- ST

3 comments:

  1. Sun: If I may, I'd like to comment on your goals: the goals for the 5K and half marathon races should be within reach if you continue training the way you did last year. The marathon is yours. You already have the endurance and will only have to add a regular long run at a slower pace once a week or every other week. Give it about 3 to 4 months that way and you'll be running a comfortable sub 4 hr marathon. Practice drinking and especially eating to find out what agrees with your stomach while running. What I wonder about is your 50-60 miles/week goal. Over what period of time do you plan to achieve that? Most would recommend not to add more than about 5-10% of distance per week, and have regular recovery weeks, maybe every third week. That schedule would still allow you to have about 50 miles/week by the middle of 2012.

    Good luck with your goals!

    Right now, my goals for 2012 are:
    1) Remain injury free, which seems to be a challenge lately. :)
    2) Increase mileage with plenty of recovery and speed training weeks in between.
    3) Run a 50 K trail race in early November (all other races before that are 25 K or half marathons for preparation).
    4) Have the discipline to adjust rather than risk overuse injury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great feedback and marathon tips! I'm super excited to start training for that race. As for increasing mileage, you're right on in that I don't plan to hit that peak level until mid year when I start marathon training. In the meantime, I'll be gradually increasing over the weeks and months.

    I can definitely relate to your fourth goal. Sometimes it's hard to take an unplanned rest day or cut a run short but it's always better to be a tad cautious than risk injury.

    Best of luck to you in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the good luck wishes Sun! And the best of luck to you for achieving your goals.

    ReplyDelete