Monday, December 19, 2011

Training Schedule 12/19 - 12/25

By now, you've probably noticed I've fallen off the runstreak several times now. Although I'm unhappy I haven't been able to stick with it, I think it still did some good because it's helped motivate me to run more miles this month than I probably would have otherwise.

This week's modest goal is to run 30+ miles. With the exception of last week (bad mileage), it seems to be what I'm able to fit in during the busy holiday season.

So, without further rambling, here's the plan:

Monday

Rest Day

Tuesday

Afternoon:
6-7 mile speed workout (1 mile warm up, 3 sets of 4x400m with a 400m recovery between each set, 1 mile cool down), 30 minutes strength training

Wednesday
Afternoon: 5-6 mile easy run, including strides; 30 minutes strength training

Thursday
Afternoon: Boot Camp Class, 1 mile warm up

Friday
Morning: 8-10 mile easy run

Saturday
Morning: 5-6 mile easy run

Sunday
Morning: 2-4 mile easy run

Tell me: Were you able to stick with a runstreak this year? If so, what's helped you get this far?

- ST

3 comments:

  1. Stick with a run streak? I wished. I did alright the last 15 weeks, slowly working my way back to between 30 and 40 miles per week with the occasional 50-mile week thrown in. But the 8 months prior to that were torture. As soon as I was building up, another injury. Two of those were responsible for about 5 months of either no running or at the most 20 miles per week.
    I changed my strength training and maybe that helped to prevent more injuries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck building up this time around! I think strength training really can make a difference so hopefully that will help keep you injury free in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. The change is actually cutting out the deep squats and lunges and changing everything to dead lifts during the running season. I also added plyometric workouts, and changed from leg curls to good mornings and Romanian dead lifts, essentially replacing concentric with eccentric exercises for the hamstrings. Hamstring strains just take an unbelievably long time to heal.
    Here's to an injury-free season for the both of us!

    ReplyDelete