Monday, September 26, 2011

Roasted Blue Potatoes

Fall is my favorite season - I love the cooler temps, vibrant leaf colors, wearing sweaters and eating fall produce - butternut squash, apples, brussels sprouts and most of all, blue potatoes.

My father loves gardening and grows these gems every year. When I stopped by my parents' house over the weekend, I was thrilled to see he had just harvested a bunch of these and promptly gathered up a few to take home.

There are several things you can do with these potatoes - mash them, fry them, boil them, etc. But my favorite method is roasting them.

It might be my imagination, but I really think blue potatoes taste better!

Roasted Blue Potatoes

12-14 small blue potatoes, washed, scrubbed and quartered
2 tsp olive oil
Dried rosemary (I prefer Penzey's)
Salt
Pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place potatoes on the baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Mix to coat the potatoes. Sprinkle liberally with rosemary, salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes, turning potatoes halfway through.

Although great by themselves as a side dish, my favorite way to eat these potatoes is on top of a salad. Note: spinach, asparagus, roasted blue potatoes and tomatoes is a great combo!

Have you tried blue potatoes? If so, how do you like to prepare them?

- ST

1 comment:

  1. I love your dad's purple potatoes (at least I think they are purple and not blue). I think I remember telling you that I made a baked potato casserole with them. Such a fun food!

    ReplyDelete